The Iowa Department of Public Health was charged with enforcement of the Iowa Smokefree Air Act. The Mission of the Iowa Department of Public Health is "Promoting and protecting the health of Iowans".
Public health is a partnership of local public health, the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH), non-profit organizations, health care providers, policymakers, businesses, and many others working together to promote and protect the health of Iowans. Public health strives to improve the quality of life for all Iowans by assuring access to quality population-based health services related to the following goals:
- Preventing injuries;
- Promoting healthy behaviors;
- Protecting against environmental hazards;
- Strengthening the public health infrastructure;
- Preventing epidemics and the spread of disease; and
- Preparing for, responding to, and recovering from public health emergencies.