Order No Smoking signs here!
The Smokefree Air Act requires businesses to post “no smoking” signs at every entrance that “clearly and conspicuously” inform persons that they are entering an area where smoking is prohibited, including entrances to outdoor serving and seating areas and in all vehicles owned, leased, or provided by an employer.
All “no smoking” signs must contain the following elements:
- The words “No Smoking” or the international “No Smoking” symbol
- The Smokefree Air Act Helpline: “1-888-944-2247”
- The official Web site: “SmokefreeAir.Iowa.gov” (older signs can have www.iowasmokefreeair.gov)
All “no smoking” signs should be at least 24 square inches in size. Font type and size must be legible.
Vehicle signage must meet all of the above requirements, but the size can be at least 9 square inches.
To order signs:
The Department of Public Health offers free "signage" to help organizations and businesses meet the law's signage requirement. Some are stickers (sticky on the back) and others are clings (sticky on the front).
The signage offered meets the requirements of the Smokefree Air Act. If signage other than those provided here are desired, individuals should contact a sign vendor of their choice to purchase alternate signage.
*The Tobacco Free/ Nicotine Free signage requires the business to have a comprehensive tobacco and nicotine free policy. This is above and beyond what is required by the law. Please contact us for more information about how to create a policy that will qualify you for this type of signage.
Please send an email to "TobContactUs@idph.iowa.gov" or call 888-944-2247
Be sure to include your name, mailing address, the number and type of signs you are requesting.
A) No Smoking Building Sticker (sticky on back): 6" x 4"
B) No Smoking Vehicle Sticker (sticky on back): 3" x 3"
C) No Smoking Building Sticker in English/Spanish (sticky on back) 6x4
D) No Smoking Building Cling in English/Spanish (sticky on front) 6x4
F) Tobacco Free/ Nicotine Free cling: 6" x 4" * (only available to organizations/businesses with a comprehensive tobacco free and nicotine free policy see below)
G) Tobacco Free/ Nicotine Free Vehicle cling: 3" x 3" * (only available to organizations/businesses with a comprehensive tobacco free and nicotine free policy see below)
* To ensure the business has a strong tobacco-free/nicotine-free policy, and to qualify for free window clings and outdoor signage, the policy must explicitly include all of the following:
- Policy must extend to all types of tobacco, nicotine and ESD products (i.e. not only cigarettes; include all tobacco, ESDs and nicotine products not approved by the FDA for cessation.)
- Policy must extend to employees & visitors
- Policy must apply at all times
- Policy must extend to company vehicles
- Policy must extend to entire business property to receive outdoor signage